Politics

PM Andy Burnham: Harry and Meghan's Security Arrangements Are Private Matter

UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham says security for Harry and Meghan is a private issue, handled by an independent committee, not the government.

August 20, 2026 2 min read
Harry and Meghan's security arrangements a private matter, PM says
Harry and Meghan's security arrangements a private matter, PM says

Prime Minister Andy Burnham has stated that security arrangements for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex upon their return to the United Kingdom are a private matter. He emphasized that decisions on their protection are not within the government's remit but are handled by an independent body.

The couple plans to relocate from the United States to a private residence outside London later this month with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, who will start school in the UK soon.

Security Oversight

The Home Office clarified that the Royal and VIP Executive Committee (RAVEC), an independent panel overseen by the Home Office, is responsible for determining security provisions for members of the Royal Family. Previous arrangements for Harry and Meghan were based on their non-permanent residence in the UK, so a fresh assessment is expected now that they intend to live in the country.

While the UK’s protective security system is described as rigorous and proportionate, detailed information is withheld to preserve security integrity. Prince Harry previously lost a legal challenge regarding the level of security he was entitled to after stepping back from royal duties and relocating to the US.

Context of the Move

  • The Sussexes left royal duties in early 2020 and settled in California.
  • They maintain a private security team in the US, though it is unclear if this team will accompany them to the UK.
  • Their return follows a July visit to King Charles at Highgrove, marking the first time he saw his grandchildren in over four years.
  • The move is motivated by family considerations, including strengthening Harry's relationship with the King and being closer to his mother Princess Diana’s family.
  • Harry’s Invictus Games in Birmingham next year and commemorations for Princess Diana’s 30th death anniversary are also factors.

Although the Sussexes will keep their California home and Meghan will continue her media and business ventures remotely, the UK will serve as their primary base for the foreseeable future.